Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Shotgun Interview #4: Fallon Willard of Fox Tails


Fox Tails, by Fallon Willard


Q: What web comic (not by a friend) do you think deserves wider attention, and why? 
A: Most comics I read are more popular than mine... but I do remember a small one I enjoyed quite a bit called Yang Child. It has a really neat story, but it doesn't get much attention because of the art.

Q: Is there a web comic you are always excited to read, the minute it updates? 
A: Dominic Deegan, Oracle for Hire. It was the first webcomic I ever read, inspired me to make my own, and is still my favorite.

Q: What web comic by someone you know would you recommend? 
A: I guess I sort of know Sage. His comic Yosh! is pretty neat.

Q: What blogs do you read?
A: I glance at quite a few, but ones I visit regularly are Rebecca Day (a writer I adore), and Tangents (Webcomic reviews, they even reviewed me a couple of times). Other than those, mostly snark communities on LJ.

Q: Introduce your comic, Fox Tails, to new readers in a few sentences.
A: It's a story of a huge misunderstanding that leads to Miyo, a spirit fox, to believe a human, Keen, saved her life. Naturally she vows to repay her debt, but she has quite a few problems of her own. Keen agrees to help her, in the process earning a heroic reputation amongst the local spirits that is slowly growing out of control.

Q: What are your web sites, and what do they offer?
A: So far the only websites I have are my main comic site and my deviantArt account, which hosts my other art. Lately I've been concentrating on my writing more, and I hope to have a site dedicated to that soon. I'm also a collaborator on Never Tales, which I've drawn a little art for.

Q: What promotional tools have helped you find new readers?
A: I owe most of my readership to being linked by a VERY popular comic, Two Kinds, multiple times. I also register my site with as many webcomic listings I can find, and used to belong to a couple of webrings. Most recently I've started using Entrecard and Project Wonderful for a boost.

Q: What's the best thing you've recently heard from a fan?
A: Someone on my chatterbox mentioned being quite old, but were still enjoying the heck out of the comic. It made me feel kinda happy that my comic could appeal to people outside the target audience age.

Q: What's the worst thing about the state of web comics today?
A: I suppose the difficulty of getting noticed and gaining regular readers. Webcomics have gotten quite a bit more popular recently, but for the most part it's a pretty small venue.

Q: What tip would you offer someone launching their first web comic?
A: Take at least three months to plan things out beforehand. I waited almost a year before starting. You want to be sure you're going to stick with it and not just drop it after a couple of weeks.

Q: What merchandise item would you love to offer if the economics allow?
A: Definitely a fox-Miyo plushie. Who the heck wouldn't want one of those? *I* want one of those.

Q: What's new in your life that has nothing to do with comics?
A: My crippling addiction to WoW seems to be ebbing to a reasonable level. Now I'm addicted to Harvest Moon and Pokemon again. It's a vicious cycle, really.