Thursday, July 3, 2008

Put on a Clean Shirt and Welcome Dumm Comics



The newest collective to appear, Dumm Comics,* consists of animation professionals entering the web comics medium for the first time. I recognized Katie Rice, formerly of Spumco, but though the other names are not familiar to me their resume entries are: shows like Ren and Stimpy, Dexter's Laboratory, and so on.

There's a nice interview in an animation blog, Cartoon Brew, with the six members.

One thing that struck me was their despair that so often something they work on for months tanks or is quickly cancelled. They like the fact that webcomics will be seen by someone, somewhere; perhaps even a crowd of readers will assemble. A look at their work gives me confidence they will find an audience.

The web site is fun. Each comic updates weekly (M - F) and you click on groovy toggles for the day of the week to get the latest update.

I think this is going to be a good group. Despite the fact that they are all from the wrong side of the tracks, I want you to be nice.

________________
*The link will default to one of the comics. There doesn't seem to be a neutral home page. I picked the Wednesday comic because I am writing on a Wednesday.