Saturday, June 6, 2009

Overhauling a Webcomic Site

 
I often use Pug and my comics for examples, so I think it's worth reporting that the overhaul of the 
Lil Nyet  web site is mostly done and available for viewing.

All are welcome to analyze how it undermines, conflicts with or contradicts my assertions, or just to say it's nice.

I think I have more credibility applying my ideas to my own work, and it will be interesting to see if there is indeed a reality effect that will cause me to change my thinking.

One thing worth noting is that despite a lot of glad talk about portability if you elect to leave them, going from a canned platform to a custom build is pretty much a do-over. You can extract a lot of useful code from your old site, but it tends to be messy and you wonder if you are saving time as you clean it up. Pages that get a lot of updates in particular turn into a soup of bad code.

I don't know if the experience would be the same with a WordPress site (we were on Yola, formerly Synthasite).

Special thanks to the rest of our cabal: Nate, Drew, Matt and of course, Pug.

Now for two more rebuilds, and two launches. No, I'm not kidding. It should be quite a year.