Sunday, July 13, 2008

Shotgun Interview #7: Doc of Deranged Comics



Deranged Comics, by Doc.


Q: What web comic (not by a friend) do you think deserves wider attention, and why? 
A: I enjoy the hell out of Dinoballs. It's quickly getting to the point where it doesn't need any help getting attention though. It's simple. It's mean. It's clever. And the guy's art style works for both the rather cute Dinoball characters and conversely, the horrific things they do to each other.

Q: Is there a web comic you are always excited to read, the minute it updates? 
A: Being a huge Star Wars nerd, I anxiously await the moment Darth's and Droids updates. It's an idea that I wish I'd thought of. They're turning the Star Wars movies into a sci-fi RPG… with humorous results.

Q: What web comic by someone you know would you recommend?
A: I've known Randy Milholland since we were both punk teenagers. Something Positive has plenty of readers so I'll recommend his newer, superhero-flavored comic, Super Stupor.

Q: What blogs do you read?
A: I don't keep up with many outside of my Live Journal. But I think MightyGodKing's blog is hilarious. I also read the Looking to the Stars comic news and reviews journal too.

Q: Introduce your work to new readers in a few sentences.
A: I'm the creator of Deranged Comics.  The main comic I'm working on right now is called "Every Day Is Halloween," which is about a group of Halloween monsters that suddenly find themselves trapped in the real world. When inspired, I do plenty of non-related strips including the surprisingly popular Ninja Octopus.

Q: What promotional tools have helped you find new readers?
A: Hands down the best networking tool is Project Wonderful. The bidding and ad revenue is really secondary to the new people you meet and the new sites you discover.

Q: What's the best thing you've recently heard from a fan?
A: I got an e-mail asking me if I'd fill out a mini-interview!

Q: What's the worst thing about the state of web comics today?
A: I really have no opinion outside of my own comic and those I like. I really think this is a golden age for anyone to find an audience. That sometimes leads to a glut of bad or half-finished titles but that's really a small price to pay for the opportunity we have.

Q: What tip would you offer someone launching their first web comic?
A: Learn Photoshop. Intimately. You heard me.

Q: What merchandise item would you love to offer if the economics allow?
A: Oooh… animatronic Ninja Octopus toys! That leap up and suck onto your face like an alien face-hugger when you least expect it!