Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Google As Censor

I use fragments from this blog for my webcomic resources site, relying on popular buzz that says a bit of duplicate content across two massive sites never caused trouble.

Well, it does. I don't have time to deal with it, and if I have to pick one, the blog goes. I can put a blog on the other site if I feel the need.

Google's hubris is jaw-dropping. They make up the rules, then if you break them you get penalized, and they won't tell you what you did, and just confirming if the problem is fixed takes over a month. Don't get me started on poorly performing Google products like Gmail or Feedburner. And a 23% fraud rate on their ads? Good job, guys.

I can't be the first to run across this issue. Anyone know a good solution, something that doesn't involve putting tags on posts or other wastes of time?

Google's own "fix" is an embarrassment of dense writing and instructions for coding busy work that no sane blogger will do.